News & Announcements
- June 2019: Journal paper got accepted. Our manuscript entitled "A discussion about two-phase flow pressure drop in proton exchange membrane fuel cells" got accepted in Heat Transfer Engineering Journal.
- May 2019: 2019 IEEE ITherm conference
- May 2019: senior design presentation
In another project, Cory Arden and Joseph Connors studied the effect of gas diffusion layer (GDL) compression on water percolation within the plane of the GDL. They applied different pressures on GDL samples and visualized water percolation with a CCD camera. In addition, they measured liquid water pressure during the injection to the surface of the GDL. They documented their findings as a conference paper which will be presented in ASME IMECE 2019 conference. Click here to see their conference paper.
In the third project, Logan LaCroix designed and assembled a machine that can be used in the fin dropping process in baseboard factories. This project was sponsored by Mestek in Westfield, MA.
To learn more about these projects, please watch videos linked below.
video: Additive manufacturing heat exchanger project
video: Water percolation within the GDL
video: Fin dropping machine
- April 2019: Mehdi Mortazavi presented "Enhanced Water Removal from PEM Fuel Cell Flow Channels by Superimposing Acoustic Wave" at the 4th Thermal and Fluids Engineering Conference in Las Vegas, NV. Click here to see the presentation slides.
- April 2019: Journal paper got accepted. Our manuscript entitled "Enhanced Water Removal from PEM Fuel Cells Using Acoustic Pressure Waves" got accepted in Journal of the Electrochemical Society.
- February 2019: Senior student William Yameen awarded IEEE ITherm 2019 travel grant to present a poster in Vegas, NV, in May 2019. William, in collaboration with Nathan Piascik, Andrew Miller, and Riccardo Clemente, designed, fabricated, and evaluated heat transfer performance of three manifold-microchannel heat exchangers. Their senior design project resulted in two conference papers (IEEE ITherm 2019 and ASME Summer Heat Transfer 2019). Congratulations William!
- January 29, 2019: Researchers from Toyota Motor North America visited MTFL for potential research collaboration on transport phenomena in PEM fuel cells!
- Thomas DeMonte was awarded the 2nd place in senior design poster presentation at the College of Engineering Senior Design Expo event. Thomas, in collaboration with Brett Sherman, studied the effect of gas diffusion layer (GDL) compression on water percolation within the plane of the GDL in PEM fuel cells. Tom's project was selected for this competitive award among the pool of over 100 participants in College of Engineering Senior Design Expo. Congratulations Tom!
- Senior design presentations, May 2018
To learn more about senior design projects completed by MTFL members, please watch a short video for each project by simply clicking on the projects listed below (sorry for the background noise as the battery testing machine was running at the time!)
Video: Flow boiling in microchannel
Video: Water percolation in GDL of PEM fuel cell
Video: Enhanced heat transfer in perforated fin baseboards
Video: Enhanced water removal in PEM fuel cell flow channel by superimposing acoustic pressure wave
- Conference attended, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Mar 2018
- Journal paper accepted in Energy, Sep 2017
- Conference attended, Toronto, Canada, Aug 2017
- KEEN ICE Workshop, Denver, CO, Aug 2017
- Senior design presentation award, WNE, May 2017
- KEEN Integrated e-Learning Module Workshop, Columbus, OH, June 2017
- KEEN Winter Conference, Jacksonville, FL, January 2017